I know I haven’t posted in awhile, mainly due to procrastination and lack of ideas. I had my neuropsych evaluation about 2 weeks ago and got my results back last week. My neurologist told me that I have ADD on top of narcolepsy, which I pretty much already knew, but had to go through with the evaluation to be able to be prescribed stronger medication. I have inattentive type ADHD, which used to be called ADD before doctors combined ADD and ADHD into one diagnosis.
Inattentive symptoms include:
- Fails to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes
- Has difficulty keeping attention during tasks or play
- Does not seem to listen when spoken to directly
- Does not follow through on instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores, or duties in the workplace
- Has difficulty organizing tasks and activities
- Avoids or dislikes tasks that require sustained mental effort (such as schoolwork)
- Often loses toys, assignments, pencils, books, or tools needed for tasks or activities
- Is easily distracted
- Is often forgetful in daily activities
My doctor prescribed Vyvanse, which is a stimulant medication, and took me off of Provigil because it wasn’t working. Vyvanse is a reformulation of Adderall which lasts longer and has fewer side effects. It appears to be working a little better than the Provigil, but I am starting out on the lowest dose at the moment. I have only been taking it for a few days but I don’t feel as foggy as usual so I am hopeful that it is going to work pretty well for me, especially when I get to start taking a higher dosage.